Adidas Supernova Glide 5 Review
The running shoe market continues to grow, with the latest releases from major brands hitting the shelves and gaining a good bit of attention. The Adidas Supernova Glide 5 is a solid shoe that features a lightweight design, a good fit, and solid comfort levels. It's a good, all-around trainer that is perfect for everyday use and will provide one with the kind of fit and comfort they need on a regular basis. It is available in several different color schemes including pale blue, light yellow, and more. It probably won't win any awards, but it's still worth a closer look.
Basically, the Adidas Supernova Glide 5 is a daily trainer built for the neutral to underpronator who requires enhanced cushioning
. It doesn't quite excel in any one area, choosing instead to be decent at most of the areas people consider when buying a shoe. As a result, it succeeds at its goal of being a solid all-around option and actually manages to stand out in a couple of ways while failing in others.
Looking for a simple guide to determine which type of running shoe (cushioned, stability, motion control) is right for you? Learn how with How to Choose Running Shoes!
Pros of the Adidas Supernova Glide 5
First, you'll want to know about what the shoe does right. There are a few big features that are well worth mentioning.
- These shoes are light. They weigh in at about 11.2 ounces for a size nine, and up to about 12 ounces for the larger sizes. That means they're easy to wear and enjoy when you're on the run.
- The Adidas Supernova Glide 5 features Active FORMOTION in the upper part of the shoe which actually stretches as you move. It provides a contoured fit.
- The GEOFIT collar also fits snug around the ankle for better support.
- The Adidas Supernova Glide 5 has one of the best traction levels of any shoe on the market today, and it's excellent for running on any surface.
- Several different design features help to improve the cushioning of the shoes including the TORSION system for the midfoot and the ADIPRENE system under the heel.
- Very durable as well. These shoes can stand up to a good bit of use.
Cons of the Adidas Supernova Glide 5
There are also some drawbacks that are worth mentioning with the shoe that may help you decide if it's the right call to make or the wrong one for your feet.
- The GEOFIT collar isn't for everyone. It can take some adjustment to get used to it and while it works great when you adjust, that period of time when you try to get used to it can be hard for some.
- The cushioning of the shoes has that dreaded chunky, spongy feel. While it is soft, it doesn't escape this design flaw that a lot of other shoes have as well.
- The tongue of the shoe is very short and frequently moves during use. It often needs to be adjusted.
- The Adidas Supernova Glide 5 often fit a bit large, and it's easy to purchase them only to find that they aren't the best fit possible.
- Not the best in terms of maximum speed and performance
- Pricey. It can cost a good bit more than some are willing to pay for these shoes.
As good all-around daily trainers, the Adidas Supernova Glide 5 is a solid choice. However, it does work hard to deliver ultimate comfort – so hard that some of the comfort features actually feel 'odd' to first-time wearers. It also isn't going to be the absolute best for those looking for a high performing running shoe, and the price can often turn off newer runners.
Still, there are shoes out there that are much worse and cost more, so the overall value level of the Adidas Supernova Glide 5 makes it worth a look for many shoppers.